Tuesday, February 11

Chia Seed Pudding

I discovered chia seeds a couple years ago but wasn't quite sure what to do with them. From time to time I would put them in my smoothies but it seemed like a hassel and not worth what I assumed was a very minimal benefit.

However, after doing some research I've learned that chia seeds are packed with vitamins, minerals, and fabulous antioxidants that protect your body against free radicals and fight aging. They also contain significantly more protein than whole grains, and have an extremely high fiber content. Two tablespoons of chia seeds contain 11 grams of fiber (40% of your daily value!), which will keep you feeling full and satisfied while improving digestion. Just be sure to drink LOTS of water or they will have the opposite digestive effect ;)

Ingredients: (makes two)
4 tablespoons chia seeds, 1 cup coconut milk, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, a pinch of salt
2 tablespoons honey/agave

In a small bowl or jar combine the first four ingredients. Give it a good stir and refrigerate for at least one hour. After the first thirty minutes give the mixture a stir, so it doesn't clump together. Once you're ready to eat, stir in the honey (add more if you don't think it's sweet enough) and top with your favorite fruit or chopped nuts.

2 comments:

  1. just curious, is this the "pick me up chia pudding"? I have the nutrition plan and can't for the life of me find that recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam! It's very close. There's no salt in the pick me up and you top with coconut shavings and cacao nibs :)

    ReplyDelete